Knowing the possible side effects of ARIKAYCE
Everyone responds to treatment differently. If you have questions about the possible side effects associated with ARIKAYCE, be sure to speak with your doctor
allergic inflammation of the lungs. These respiratory problems may be symptoms of allergic inflammation of the lungs and often come with:
- fast breathing
- shortness of breath
- coughing up of blood (hemoptysis). Coughing up blood is a serious and common side effect of ARIKAYCE
severe breathing problems. Severe breathing problems can be symptoms of bronchospasm. Bronchospasm is a serious and common side effect of ARIKAYCE. Bronchospasm symptoms include:
- shortness of breath
- difficult or labored breathing
- coughing or chest tightness
worsening of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). This is a serious and common side effect of ARIKAYCE
While using ARIKAYCE, these side effects may become serious enough that treatment in a hospital is needed.
- hearing loss or ringing in the ears (ototoxicity). Ototoxicity is a serious and common side effect of ARIKAYCE. Tell your healthcare provider right away if you have hearing loss or you hear noises in your ears, such as ringing or hissing. Tell your healthcare provider if you start having problems with balance or dizziness (vertigo)
- worsening kidney problems (nephrotoxicity). ARIKAYCE is in a class of medicines which may cause worsening kidney problems. Your healthcare provider may do a blood test to check how well your kidneys are working during your treatment with ARIKAYCE
- worsening muscle weakness (neuromuscular blockade). ARIKAYCE is in a class of medicines which can cause muscle weakness to get worse in people who already have problems with muscle weakness (myasthenia gravis)
20.2% of patients taking ARIKAYCE + combination antibacterial drug treatment plan experienced serious side effects compared to 16.1% of patients taking a combination antibacterial drug treatment alone
- changes in voice and hoarseness (dysphonia)
- cough during or after a dose of ARIKAYCE
- sore throat
- muscle pain
- tiredness (fatigue)
- decreased weight
- increased sputum
- chest discomfort
Cough during or after a dose of ARIKAYCE was reported most by patients during the first month of treatment
These are not all of the possible side effects of ARIKAYCE. Call your doctor or pharmacist for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription medicines and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Keep a list of the medicines you take and show your doctor and pharmacist when you get a new medicine.
Talk to your doctor about side effects
83% (185/224) of patients taking ARIKAYCE + combination antibacterial drug treatment plan did not stop treatment even though they had at least one side effect.
34% (75/224) of the patients taking ARIKAYCE + combination antibacterial drug treatment plan stopped taking ARIKAYCE before the end of the study.
The most common reasons patients stopped treatment were:
- Side Effects – 17% (39/224)
- Decision to discontinue – 9% (21/224)
If you experience any side effects while taking ARIKAYCE, be sure to talk to your doctor about them
Find sample questions to help you start a conversation about ARIKAYCE with your doctor by downloading this
Next, learn about taking ARIKAYCE by watching the